Structure in Proverbs 2

When we read discussed Proverbs 2 at family worship this morning, I was struck by a structure I had never seen before. The chapter starts with a long list of “ifs,” and then there are three sections describing what will happen if you seek wisdom (if you follow the “ifs”).

Verse 5 - “then you will understand the fear of the Lord”
Verse 9 - “then you will understand what is right and just”
Verse 20 - “thus you will walk in the ways of good men”

I think there is a progression going on here. We have been studying the book Apostate in our “Tapestry” class this year, and it chronicles the growth of humanism in the Christian west. It started in the philosophical realms of “big ideas” — thoughts about God, man, the nature of being, how we know things. It moved on into social theory and ethics. From there it was popularized through literature, books, movies, music, etc. (a form the common man could interact with and understand). I think the progression in Proverbs 2 is similar. First wisdom causes us to understand the fear of the Lord and the knowledge of God. Then it teaches us what is right and wrong. Finally, it causes us to walk rightly in all that we do.

I had a few other random thoughts. Sections 1 and 3 follow a similar structure. They are shorter, and they both end with a reminder that God blesses and prospers the righteous. Section 2 is longer, and it goes into more detail.

There is so much more that could be said here. God’s Word is full of beauty, poetry, and complexity, and it seems like I discover something new each time I read it.


Popular posts from this blog

The Franks - History Summary

Women in the Church

Gregory the Great - History Summary